The calendar flips to May and that means summer weather must be on the horizon. It also equates to a rapid increase of planned (and spontaneous) outdoor activities around Olympia. If you travels take you toward the beach this weekend, stop by the Grays Harbor Shorebird Festival. You can learn more about the weekend festivities in this article.
Here’s what is going on around Olympia this weekend.
- Enjoy all that the Hands On Children’s Museum has to offer during Free Friday Night.
- Find a treasure at Saturday’s Secondhand Safari. Read this article that gives you all the details about this massive Thurston County garage sale.
- Drop your pot and catch shrimp in Hood Canal. The four-day shrimp season opens on Saturday.
- Pick up a new read during Free Comic Book Day on Saturday. Find locations here.
- Lace up your sneakers for the South Sound YMCA’s Spring Run on Saturday morning. Get more details here.
- Head to the beach for the Grays Harbor Shorebird Festival. Read more here.
- Watch a performance of Studio West Dance Theatre’s Peter Pan on Friday night or Saturday. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Plan Mother’s Day brunch with this list of restaurant ideas. Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 10.
- Get educated at the Lacey S.T.E.M Fair on Saturday.
- Learn about the economic impact of the upcoming U.S. Open golf tournament on this region. It’s hosted by Chambers Bay Golf Course.
- Head out to Union and visit Hunter Farms during their two day Traveler’s Homecoming Fair this weekend.
- Stock up on housewares during Bayview and Ralph’s Thriftway’s sale.
- Find Mary Gentry and Mimi Williams at Orca Books on Saturday afternoon.
- Attend SLURP on Sunday to get a taste of Fish Brewing’s latest beer. Get tickets here.
- Register for the Capital City Marathon. The 5-miler, half-marathon and full marathon is scheduled for Sunday, May 17.
- Reserve your spot to hear Dr. James Beckerman speak about heart health. The free lecture is slated for May 14. Learn more here.
- Sign up for summer camps. Click here for our list of more than 30 local camps that will keep your kids busy this summer.
- Encourage a high school student to complete Coldwell Banker’s scholarship essay – “What Makes a House a Home?”
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
Submit an event for our calendar here.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, click here.