When the weather gets interesting (this week qualifies!), my husband doesn’t just settle for the weather forecast displayed on his phone. He likes to delve into the forecast and weather patterns deeper. His knowledge source – Cliff Mass. The University of Washington professor uses common language to explain high pressure systems, wind patterns, and how weather moves across the area.
But, I don’t need Cliff to tell me that this weekend is going to be rainy and windy. Luckily, ThurstonTalk’s event calendar has plenty of indoor options.
We make it simple with our 2015 list of holiday happenings around town.
Here’s what is going on around Olympia, besides your umbrella flipping inside out.
- Drive our Christmas Light tour.
- Celebrate the holiday season by watching a performance of Ballet Northwest’s Nutcracker at The Washington Center. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Catch a performance of Harlequin Productions’ Stardust throughout the weekend.
- Sing with the Olympia Choral Society’s Christmas concert at the Koval Center for four concerts this weekend. Details can be found here.
- Use our guide to find the best Christmas light displays around Thurston County.
- Support SideWalk’s mission to end homelessness. Visit the fan favorite gingerbread house inside Thurston First Bank during regular business hours.
- Shop for handmade treasures at Duck the Malls at Capitol Theater on Saturday. Get event information here.
- Take advantage of free parking in downtown Olympia through Christmas Eve.
- Stock up on rain gear and holiday gifts at Olympia Supply.
- Learn the history behind Huber’s Christmas Island.
- Watch Olympia Family Theater’s “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” Showtimes are throughout the weekend. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Say hello to Santa as he cruises through Thurston County neighborhoods on a firetruck. Find his schedule here.
- Attend the unique lighted tractor parade in Centralia on Saturday. Get details here.
- Support locally owned businesses with your shopping dollars. #ShopSmall ideas here.
- Vote for your favorite downtown Olympia holiday decorations.
- Post a letter to Santa. Letters must be postmarked by December 12 to get a personal reply. Find more details about Captain Little’s mail project here.
- Take a picture with Santa.
- Listen to SOGO’s Brass Choir perform a holiday concert on Saturday afternoon. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Watch the Christmas tree in Tumwater light up on Saturday.
- Use our gift guide to find a special treasure for your favorite guy.
- Select your Christmas tree from one of these locally owned farms.
- Get some shopping done while your kids play at Alley Oop Gymnastics Center during Parents Night Out.
- Listen to some festive music at Sandstone Distillery on Saturday evening.
- Step inside Donedei Wines on Sunday. The local wine maker is only open two days per year to the public.
- Take the family to listen to the holiday concert by Kids In Concert on Sunday afternoon.
- Be patient for the snow to continue to fall and enjoy winter during the Banff Mountain Film Festival at Capitol Theater. Showtimes and ticket information can be found here.
- Make your New Year’s Eve plans at the Red Lion Hotel.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
Submit an event for our calendar here.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar.