The second month of 2017 is coming in as predicted by Punxsutawney Phil yesterday – cold, wet and windy. If his shadow prediction holds true, we are in for several more weeks of winter. Despite the dire predictions of a famous rodent, Thurston County residents won’t be deterred and will be out in force, enjoying the community, rain or shine. Here are the weekend’s event highlights and a few suggestions for outdoor fun should you want to brave the elements.
- Take the kids out. HOCM’s Free Friday Night is tonight.
- Enjoy local theater – Black Hills High School, Olympia Family Theater and Harlequin Productions all feature productions.
- Curl up with a cup of coffee and revisit our most popular stories from January.
- Bid for fabulous items in your jammies at the KGY/KAYO On-Air Auction all day Saturday.
- Polish the clam guns for next week’s seven days of clam digs.
- Prepare for your “big day” at the South Sound Wedding Show Saturday at St. Martin’s.
- Grab an authentic Italian sub at Meconi’s after reading this article on their long history.
- Learn what your donation dollars can do when given to the South Sound YMCA.
- Cheer for local Unified Sports athletes all day Saturday at Timberline High School’s charity tournament.
- Pick one of these 17 “must-do” items from our 2017 list for this weekend.
- Keep your eyes peeled for these pretty “Thurston County Rocks” while out and about.
- Rediscover the amazing winter wildlife at the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge with this guide.
- Brave the elements on a winter hike.
- Register for the Intercity Transit Winter Mini-Bike Commuter Challenge and truly brave the elements this winter.
- Stroll by Splash Gallery on the Percival Landing boardwalk and view local art.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar.
*Photo credit: Renee Fields Photography