We have been consumed by the Olympics. One child wants to watch bobsledding or slope style and the other wants to catch every minute of ice dancing and figure skating. I tear up at the commercials where the athletes thank their mom. My husband is waiting for any hockey coverage. The beauty of the Olympics is that it’s a sporting event that we can all enjoy. The only downside is that the primetime coverage begins at bedtime. We are a day behind. We record the coverage and watch it the next evening, but maybe with the time change we are actually two days behind. No matter, we are happy, flicking through the events and fast forwarding the commercials (not the ones about Mom, of course.)
If you want your weekend to include more than Olympics television viewing, use our event calendar to stay busy.
- Gather up your Valentine’s Day supplies. Here are stories flowers, wine and dessert, plus a special feature on family dining options and unique ideas for a date night.
- Tap your foot to the beat at the Olympia Old Time Music Festival. Workshops and live music begin on Friday at noon and continue throughout the weekend. Find the full schedule of events here.
- Check out the interactive Bodyworks! program at the WET Science Center on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
- Visit Stottle Winery on Saturday and Sunday for a special wine tasting event.
- Continue the Valentine’s Day spirit by catching Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers and Christopher Cross at the Lucky Eagle Casino on Saturday night.
- Second City, a Chicago-based improv group, will be on stage at The Washington Center on Sunday. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Take the kids to see “House at Pooh Corner” by the Olympia Family Theater. Check performance times and by tickets by clicking here.
- Enjoy live theater at Harlequin Productions or Olympia Little Theater throughout the weekend.
- Use our staycation guide to stay busy during the extra days off.
- Take the kids or the dog for a walk using our list of family-friendly hikes around Olympia.
- Throw the kids into Alley Oop Gymnastics on Monday for a special open gym.
- Try a mid-winter break camp at the Hands On Children’s Museum.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. See Van Dorm Realty’s list here.
Submit an event for our calendar here.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, click here.