Submitted by Joint Animal Services
Spring has sprung and our thoughts turn to spring cleaning and home improvement projects. Before you embark on seasonal chores, take inventory of potential springtime hazards for your furry friends.
Fertilizer, insecticide, and herbicide ingredients may be dangerous if your pet ingests them. Always store these products in out-of-the-way places and follow label instructions carefully. Many popular springtime plants are also toxic to pets and can prove fatal if eaten.
Products such as paints, mineral spirits and solvents can be toxic to your pets and cause severe irritation or chemical burns. Carefully read all labels to see if the product is safe to use around your furry friends. Also, be cautious of physical hazards, including nails, staples, insulation, blades, and power tools. It may be wise to confine your dog or cat to a designated pet-friendly room during home improvement projects.
If you think your pet may have ingested something harmful, immediately contact a veterinarian.