Submitted by Thurston County
This week’s extreme weather is dangerous for those without shelter. The National Weather Service has issued a forecast for temperatures above 91 degrees in the Puget Sound for Monday, August 14,, through Thursday, August 17, 2023. Therefore, Thurston County will declare a 3-day, 3-night Hazardous Weather Event.
During this extreme heat, Thurston County homeless service providers will provide multiple options for individuals living outside to stay hydrated and find cool places to be during the day.
- Day Time Cooling Activities: A daytime cooling center will be available from 1 p.m.- 8 p.m. Monday, August 14, through Thursday, August 17.
- Increased Shelter-in-Place Activities: Partners in Prevention Education will be providing increased distribution of survival supplies to individuals and families living in encampments.
Emergency Cooling Center will be in operation Monday, August 14, through Thursday, August 17 from 1 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Sergio’s Place located at 3444 Martin Way NE, for individuals needing shelter during the hottest parts of the day. Pets are welcome. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Donations of water, sunscreen, aloe, sport drinks, and snacks will be accepted Monday, August 14, through Thursday, August 17, 2023 from 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at 3501 Mary Elder Rd NE (behind Sergio’s Place). If you would like to donate survival goods, please email Sam Bubenzer at email@example.com or visit the IW Shelter website. for more information.
Other emergency hazardous weather shelter options:
- Union Gospel Mission for single adults.
- Community Youth Services is available for youth ages 18-24.
- Cooling center for families at Family Support center 3545 7th Ave SW. Suite 200.
Monday- Thursday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Emotional support pets allowed but must be leashed or kenneled.
For more information on available shelters, contact the Thurston County Shelter Hotline at 1-844-628-7343. To find community resources near you visit Washington 211.