Submitted by Port of Olympia
With the return of spring, the Port of Olympia will be resuming its popular marine terminal tour program in downtown Olympia.
Tours, which are free to all, offer the opportunity to see and learn about the workings of Thurston County’s international shipping terminal.
In addition to observing cargo operations, including the mobile harbor crane, log loaders and other equipment, visitors will learn about the various ways Thurston County is connected with the global trade network, and the role the Port plays in moving a wide range of goods to their final destination. Over 12,000 individuals have toured the Port of Olympia’s working waterfront over the past decade.
Tour participants can expect to leave with a better understanding of the economic impact the Port has in our community as well as working knowledge of the Swantown Marina & Boatworks, Olympia Regional Airport and the Port’s Real Estate Development program.
- Reservations Required. Space is limited. Reserve at http://www.portolympia.com/98/Port-Tours.
- Photo ID Required for 17+. Due to Federal regulations, the secured Marine Terminal requires photo identification for everyone over 17 years of age.
- Location and Duration. The outdoor walking tours begin at Port offices, 626 Columbia Street NW STE 1-B (Olympics Room) in Olympia. Tours last approximately two hours.
- Attire. Because tours are outdoors, participants are advised to wear comfortable shoes and dress for the weather.
- Children of all ages are welcome. Tours are stroller and wheelchair accessible.
- A vessel in port is not guaranteed.
2019 Tour Schedule
- Tuesday, April 16, 1 pm
- Wednesday, May 22, 10 am
- Thursday, June 20, 6 pm
- Tuesday, July 23, 6 pm
- Thursday, August 15, 1 pm
- Wednesday, September 11, 10 am
- Tuesday, October 15, 1 pm
School and Group Tours
In addition to the monthly scheduled tours, the Port also welcomes tour groups from schools or other organizations. School and group tours are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Transportation grants are available for Thurston County schools upon request.
To schedule your group tour, or if you have questions, please contact Brianna Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 360.528.8013.