Submitted by The Olympia Area Square Dancers
The Olympia Area Square Dancers are offering a Free Introduction to Square Dancing class at 6:30 p.m.on Thursday January 14 at Lac-A-Do Hall, 1721 46th AVE NE, Olympia. Square dancing offers many health benefits as well as lots of fun.
You walk and dance 3 or 4 miles in a typical square dance session. This kind of exercise is like a magic pill. Nothing enhances your health more than physical activity. Scientists have found that staying physically active:
- Helps prevent or delay many diseases and disabilities.
- Is an effective treatment for many chronic conditions.
- Helps manage stress and improve your mood.
- Helps your brain function.
- Improves your sleep, helping you fall asleep more quickly and sleep more deeply.
- Builds endurance, strength, balance, and flexibility.
The social side of square dancing – having fun with friendly, supportive people – is also a huge benefit. This kind of social support:
- Leads to a happier outlook on life,
- Helps you avoid illness, sleep better, live longer and recover better from medical problems.
- Reduces stress. Laughter alone acts as a stress reducer. So, add that laughter to an enjoyable, friendly environment, and you’ve got a powerful stress reducer.
Olympia Area Square Dancers welcome couples, singles and families ages 10-110. Almost everyone can learn to square dance. We all learn at a different pace, but that’s part of the fun. The only people who may find that lessons are too fast-paced are those with moderate to severe developmental disabilities or who cannot walk for 10-15 minutes at a time.
We look forward to seeing you soon at Lac-A-Do Hall! Visit our website for more information.
Listen to caller Glenn Raiha speaking about Square Dancing Sunday on Dick Pust’s MIXX96 It’s Your Community Radio Program.
Call Nancy at 360-438-1284 for more information.