I sincerely enjoy scrolling through social media, looking at all the back to school photos. I’m not a nostalgic person, so the pics don’t rekindle any emotions from my school days. In reality, I think that it’s more about seeing kids grow up – catching snapshots of folks that I don’t get to see all that often because they live across the country or even just a few neighborhoods over. I like to see the personalities reflected in these images, like my fifth grader who clearly is “over” the obligatory back to school photo or my third grader who hangs on to her personal style of “more colors and patterns are better.” Even if you didn’t send a little one back to school this week, you likely were treated to many of these images. And, then you will see them again in a few years as #tbt.
Here’s what is going on this weekend around Olympia – lots of sunshine so get outside and play.
- Take a botanical tour of the Capital Campus on Friday.
- Enter the Hands On Children’s Museum for free on Friday night. Free Friday Night happens on the first Friday of each month.
- Celebrate Olympia’s beer history with Brats, Brews, and Bands on Saturday afternoon. The party starts at 1:00 p.m. and continues until 9:00 p.m. Find complete event details here.
- Take your picture with Seattle Seahawks running back, Christine Michael, on Saturday from 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. at Spin Tees.
- Support Pizza Klatch at a fundraising event on Saturday evening at The Washington Center. Complete event details are here.
- Raise a toast to Medicine Creek Winery on Saturday evening as they celebrate their 7th anniversary.
- Help a neighbor. The community is coming together on Sunday to help raise funds to cover the cost of Clint Side’s medical care to fight cancer.
- Catch a production of Harlequin’s Middletown or Theater Artists Olympia’s Improbably Peck of Plays throughout the weekend.
- Observe the salmon migration. Find viewing info here.
- Scroll through our list of 60 “Don’t Miss” activities in Olympia.
- Find four ways to see Thurston County by water in this article.
- Rent a kayak and paddle around Puget Sound. Alternatively, this article has options if you wish to sail.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
Submit an event for our calendar here.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, click here.