Nothing is more calming than the still water of a lake as you glide upon its surface. Paddleboarding in Tumwater includes two of Thurston County’s most popular lakes. Spending the day on your SUP at Deep Lake or Black Lake is the perfect way to enjoy all nature has to offer.
Deep Lake at Millersylvania State Park
- Address: 12245 Tilley Rd SW, Olympia
- Launch Site: Those bringing their own paddleboard can take off from Millersylvania’s boat launch. To get to the launch, walk toward the lake and you will see many easily accessible points to enter the water. Rented paddleboards can be launched from the dock across from the Lakeside Grill & Boats concession stand.
- Cost: Paddleboards at Millersylvania State Park can be rented onsite from Lakeside Grill & Boats. Stand up paddleboard rental is $17 per hour. There is no cost to launch your own.
- Parking: There is a parking lot located adjacent to the concession area and dock within the state park. Overnight parking is located on the park’s campgrounds. Discover Pass is required, buy online or at the automated pay station at Millersylvania. One Day and annual passes available.
- Along the way: Paddleboarders looking for a rest can come back to Deep Lake’s shore by the Lakeside Grill & Boats concession stand. Millersylvania State Park also features campgrounds and over eight miles of hiking trails.
- Reservations: Paddleboards can be reserved from Lakeside Grill & Boats day of, but for longer reservations or multiple paddleboards, it is recommended to call ahead.
Black Lake Boat Launch
- Address: 7045 Fairview Rd SW, Olympia
- Launch Site: There is a public access boat launch located on the east side of Black Lake.
- Cost: There is no cost to launch a paddleboard from the Black Lake boat launch.
- Parking: Discover Pass is required and is not available for purchase at the location. Be sure to pick one in advance, they can be purchased online or at some grocery stores.
- Along the way: The boat launch offers shoreline access. Also, on the shores of Black Lake is Kenneydell Park, complete with a dock, forest trails and picnic shelters.