Submitted by Thurston County Board of County Commissioners
The Thurston County Fair was once again a sizzling summer hit in its 148th year with more than 23,000 people having “Al-Paca fun” July 31 through August 4. The Fair also saw an increase in participation in entries for activities like hobbies, crafts, animals, baking, and beverages.
The 2019 fair showcased all of the traditional fair favorites—animals, agricultural exhibits, sweet treats, and savory snacks. The Battle of the Bands competition was fierce for its initial run, and a great addition to the fair this year was the Butterfly Encounter bringing fresh faces to a community event that reaches back to 1871.
Other 2019 Thurston County Fair Highlights:
- 3750 total entries including animal and still life
- Market sale raised $130,000
- Volunteer shuttle drivers from North Thurston Public Schools drove more than 1,650 miles carrying 3,989 passengers
- Thurston Throwback participated for the first time
- County Commissioner’s pancake breakfast served 416 people (last year they served 315)
- Billy Goat won the mascots voting for 2020
Already looking forward to next year? The Thurston County Fair dates for 2020 are July 28 through August 2.
For more details about these events, facility rentals, and other events and occasions at the Thurston County Fairgrounds throughout the year, contact the Fair Office at (360) 786-5453, or visit www.ThurstonCountyFair.org.