Submitted by South Puget Sound Community College
SPSCC will host the first stateside U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs event of its kind to serve regional Veterans and transitioning service members and their families from August 6 to 8, 2019. In the three-day event titled the “Economic Investment Initiative”, Veterans, service members, and their loved ones can secure economic well-being and find continued success in civilian life.
From the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:
Whether you got your DD-214 years ago or you are preparing to leave the service in the months ahead, transitioning back to a civilian community can be challenging. Economic well-being and employment for transitioning service members, Veterans, and their spouses and loved ones continue to be a major stressor in the military and Veteran community. VA knows that here in the Puget Sound area, economic well-being is more than just a job. It’s setting a Veteran up for success.
Join us at the Economic Investment Initiative: Puget Sound 2019 to connect with health care, education, jobs, benefit resources, and more. Hear from and share your successes and challenges with community leaders!
The event, set for August 6–8 at the South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, Washington, will include:
- A Town Hall (August 6): Raising awareness of key initiatives and addressing important concerns by facilitating conversations between leaders and the Veteran community;
- A Claims Clinic (August 6–7): Assisting transitioning service members and Veterans to file claims for service-connected conditions;
- A Benefits Fair (August 6–8): Helping Veterans and transitioning service members find resources and register for the benefits and health care they have earned;
- Health Services (August 6–8): Providing onsite health evaluation, care, and counseling;
- Workshops and Presentations (August 6–8): Covering topics such as education, housing, VA benefits and services, employment, and health care; and
- A Job Fair (August 8): Connecting Veterans and transitioning service members with employers from the Pacific Northwest, federal partners, and beyond.
EI Initiative: Puget Sound 2019 is free and open to transitioning service members, Veterans, and their families including spouses and dependents, caregivers, and survivors. At the last EI Initiative held in Puerto Rico, the VA’s Office of Transition and Economic Development succeeded in serving more than 900 Veterans at the benefits and claims clinic; awarding $262,000 in retroactive benefits; connecting attendees with 200 jobs; and repairing five Veterans’ homes damaged by Hurricane Maria.
Help secure your future by registering at https://eiinitiativepugetsound.eventbrite.com.