‘Boys in the Boat’ Crew Members Have Olympia Area Connections

588 Shares

Olympia has a connection to the 2013 “Boys in the Boat” book written by Daniel James Brown and the subsequent 2023 movie about the University of Washington rowing team who won a gold medal at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany. Rower John White was married at a historic home in the Olympia South Capitol neighborhood. Rower Don Hume was born just blocks away, and coxswain Robert Moch was born and raised in nearby Montesano.

More than one publication describes the team of rowers as middle-class family kids and children of loggers, fisherman and farmers, often having worked in those positions themselves. Hume and Moch were the children of working class, Thurston and Grays Harbor counties parents.

Don Hume of ‘Boys in the Boat’ Born in Olympia South Capitol Neighborhood

Don Hume’s family moved to Olympia in 1909 from Iowa. His father, Bernie Hume, married Ethel Cunningham of Olympia in 1912. Hume’s mother, Mary Ethel, taught medieval and modern history at Olympia High School and was active in the community, and Bernie worked for the city and the chamber of commerce. Don was born on 17th Avenue in 1915, and the Humes also lived on Water Street. Bernie and his brother donated land across Water Street to the City of Olympia, where today two benches and a plaque are dedicated to Bernie and Ethel.

The family moved to Anacortes in 1929 or 1930, where Bernie took a job at Puget Sound Pulp and Timber, staying up north for four years. The Daily Olympian social column reported the Humes’ return from Anacortes in 1934 to their summer home on the west side of Budd Inlet. Don remained up north after graduating high school and once made a solo rowboat trip from Anacortes to Olympia.

Hume was ill the day of the Olympic gold medal race but was ensured his position by a very insistent crew. In the book “Distant Replay! Washington’s Jewish Sports Heroes,” Stephen Sadis writes about Robert “Bobby” Moch recounting race day and how John White told the coach to “Tie him (Hume) in, and we’ll get him across the finish line.” Hume performed, was an integral part of the team’s success, and Moch splashed water on Hume’s face after he had passed out at the finish line.

University of Washington rower, and Olympic gold medalist, Don Hume is shown here in front of the family’s Olympia home. Don also won a local piano performance award, a musical talent highlighted in the new movie ‘Boys in the Boat.’ Left to right: Don’s father Bernie Hume, Don Hume and brother Dale Hume. Photo courtesy: Hume Family

The Morning Olympian reported of Hume’s return on September 24, 1936, “A student rally will be staged Thursday night at 7 o’clock at Sylvester park, the entire student body to serpentine up Capitol Way to the high school, where a pep program, featuring a talk by Donald Hume, former University of Washington Oarsman, will be held.”

Don Hume would return to Olympia frequently to visit his family, remaining close to his brother Dale’s family.

Reunions brought Don Hume back to Washington, and frequently to family in Olympia. Don Hume is shown here on the far right, with his mother Ethel center and brother Dale Hume far left in front of their home on Water Street. Photo courtesy: Hume Family

‘Boys in the Boat’ Coxswain Robert “Bobby” Moch From Montesano

Robert Moch was born in Montesano in 1914. His father was an immigrant from Switzerland and owned a local jewelry store in Montesano. As a graduate of Montesano High School and Olympic gold medalist, Moch is a highlighted alum. He was quoted in “Distant Replay!” from an interview about how he knew for years he was going to try out for coxswain for the University of Washington, and he did indeed enroll in 1932 and was on a rowing crew. He went on to coach rowing at UW and to become head rowing coach at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before becoming a Seattle attorney and later successfully arguing a case before the nation’s highest court.

Annual reunions brought the crew back together. In Olympia, five of the crew members gathered at a wedding for one of their own.

Crew Member John Galbraith White Married in the Historic Olympia Egbert Ingham Home

John White graduated from UW in 1939 and married Mary Egbert from Olympia. Egbert, a 1936 graduate of Olympia High School, also attended the University of Washington. Announcing the couple’s nuptial event, The Daily Olympian indicated an August 31, 1940 wedding to take place in the home of the bride’s mother, Dana Seltzer Egbert, at 119 West 14th Avenue. Seltzer Egbert had received the home as a wedding gift from her father.

Mary Egbert White (right) and John White. Egbert (left) was a graduate of Olympia High School, and four of John White’s Olympic gold medal team crew members were his best man and ushers at the White’s Olympia wedding. Photo courtesy: David Goularte

Mary Egbert White and John White visited the current owners of the Egbert-Ingham house in 1994. In return the owners visited the White home on Lopez Island where John showed his gold medal and told them about shaking Hitler’s hand. Mary and her mother were also in Europe just prior to the outbreak of WWII, barely making it out of Germany by train and catching the last ship out of Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

The marriage location of ‘Boys in the Boat’ Olympic rower and gold medalist John White to Mary Egbert, the Egbert Ingham house once stood at 14th Street in Olympia before it was moved. Photo courtesy: Olympia Historical Society & Bigelow House Museum

Such social happenings were customarily shared in the newspaper, and the White wedding report included the draped window décor, candelabras for lighting and how violin and organ music played softly during both the ceremony and reception. Also listed in the article, rowing crew member Gordon Adams was White’s best man, and crew members James “Jim” McMillin, Moch and Hume attended as ushers.

The Moch, Hume and White family stories reflect turn of the century events and lifestyles some Puget Sound and Olympia area families experienced as World War II approached.

Moved in 1979 to Adams Street, the Egbert Ingham house is on the Olympia Historic Register. Mary Egbert White and John White visited the current owners in 1994 who reciprocated, visiting the White home on Lopez Island. Photo courtesy: Olympia Historical Society & Bigelow House Museum
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
588 Shares