Submitted by Pacific Northwest Region Olympic National Forest
On Wednesday, May 1, 2019, the Olympic National Forest will open seasonal wildlife gates on the south part of the forest, including on the 2451 road in the North Fork Skokomish River watershed; on the 2354, 2353, and 2361 roads in the South Fork Skokomish River watershed; and on the 2294 (two gates) and 2270 roads in the Wynoochee River watershed.
These closures, which have been in effect since October 1, 2018, are part of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Olympic National Forest and the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife and are designed to:
- increase wildlife utilization of habitat;
- reduce the siltation of lakes and streams;
- provide diverse recreational hunting opportunities;
- reduce harassment levels on deer and elk; and
- increase the escapement rate of buck deer and bull elk.
The gates will be open through September 30, 2019.