Submitted by Experience Olympia & Beyond
The Olympia & Beyond Sports Commission, a division of Experience Olympia & Beyond, will host the fifth annual Thurston County Sports Awards on Thursday, November 3 starting at 5 p.m. at the South Puget Sound Community College Student Union Building. Attendees are asked to register online here. This event will honor local athletes, coaches, sports enthusiasts and leaders in the community who motivate and inspire others.
“Sports Awards are back live and in person after two years of virtual celebration. Each year we are impressed with the vast accomplishments of the many individuals and sports teams in Thurston County. Many more are having an indelible impact on the lives of our community members. Come out and support our sports heroes November 3,” said Jeff Bowe, Vice President of Sales and Development for Experience Olympia & Beyond.
All nominations were submitted by local peers and were voted on by an advisory committee made up of community stakeholders.
This year’s keynote presenter is Beth Knox, President and CEO of the Seattle Sports Commission. A passionate community builder, Knox has held leadership roles with Seattle’s 2018 Special Olympics USA Games, Seafair, Bumbershoot, Summer Nights at the Pier concerts and more. As leader of the Seattle Sports Commission, she spearheads efforts to attract and host premier sporting events the Puget Sound region and provides valuable support to Washington’s professional and collegiate sports community.
For more information on the 2022 Sports Awards, please visit the Experience Olympia & Beyond website.
Below is a complete list of the 2022 nominees:
Boys Sports Star of the Year and Girls Sports Star of the Year (High School)
Nominees must be a female or male athlete enrolled full-time in a Thurston County high school program between Spring 2021 and Spring 2022. Nominees must have participated for a minimum of one season in at least one high school sport, exemplify strong leadership, dedication and sportsmanship with good school behavior.
Boys Sports Star of the Year (High School)
- Talon Betts, Rochester, Football, Track & Field
- Ethan Coleman, Olympia, Track & Field
- Jeffery Myers, Yelm, Wrestling, Tennis, Soccer
- Ryan Orr, Tumwater, Baseball
- Brayden Platt, Yelm, Football, Wrestling, Track & Field
- Tony Ponomarev, Olympia, Swimming
Girls Sports Star of the Year (High School)
- Ashlyn Aven, Yelm, Fastpitch, Volleyball, Wrestling
- Laney Borchardt, North Thurston, Basketball
- Jaelynn Carrier, Yelm, Tennis
- Lyv Heistand, Olympia, Soccer
- Katelyn Johnson, Olympia, Volleyball
- Megan Letts, Tenino, Soccer, Basketball, Tennis
- Amanda Moll/Hana Moll, Capital, Track & Field
- Athena Moore/Sienna Moore, Black Hills, Tennis
- Samantha Potvin, Olympia, Fastpitch
- Destinee Robertson, Timberline, Soccer, Wrestling, Track & Field
- Sarah Towne, North Thurston, Basketball
- Olivia Walk, Capital, Soccer
Mens Sports Star of the Year and Women’s Sports Star of the Year (College)
Nominees must be a female or male athlete enrolled full-time any time from Spring 2021 to Spring 2022 in a full-time Thurston County college or be a native to Thurston County. Nominees must also have participated for a minimum of one year in at least one collegiate sport, and exemplify strong leadership, dedication and sportsmanship with good school behavior.
Mens Sports Star of the Year (College)
- Tyler Fitchett, St. Martin’s University, Golf
- Dakota Seddon, South Puget Sound Community College, Soccer
- Colton Smith, University of Arizona, Tennis
- Colby Wilson, Montana State University, Track & Field
Womens Sports Star of the Year (College)
- Emma Duff, Western Washington University, Basketball
- Malia Pinder, St. Martin’s University, Softball
- Lily Stewart, The Evergreen State College, Volleyball, Track & Field
- Sharay Trotter, South Puget Sound Community College, Basketball
Contributor of the Year
Nominees must be passionate about the growth and success of sports in Thurston County. Nominees could be coaches, persons affiliated with nonprofit organizations, individuals or major monetary donors to sports initiatives that increase or improve sports access in Thurston County. Nominees must have demonstrated a commitment to sports during the time between Spring 2021 and Spring 2022.
- Matthew Herrera, Oly Town Artesians FC
- Matt Kernutt, TC United
- Michela Laverty, Unified Program
- Jacqueline Meyer, North Thurston High School Volleyball, Basketball
- Todd Oestreich, Oly Reign Volleyball Club
- Oly Town Artesians FC Ownership Group
- Kevin Schultz, South Puget Sound Community College Soccer
- Aaron Shively, Dancing Goats Coffee
Sports Moment of the Year
Nominees can be a team or individual that has achieved national or local recognition for a sports moment that occurred from Spring 2021 to Spring 2022. Nominations should highlight an inspiring story, outstanding sportsmanship during a single event (match, game or championship) by a team or individual.
- Black Hills High School Girls Bowling
- Capital Cougarettes Dance Team
- Ethan Coleman, Olympia High School Track & Field
- The Evergreen State College Volleyball
- Oly Town Artesians FC Women
- Olympia High School Baseball
- Rochester High School Fastpitch
- Martin’s University Mens Basketball
- Tenino High School Girls Soccer
- Tumwater High School Baseball, Fastpitch, Girls Track & Field
Thurston County Sports Legend
Nominees must be an individual (five years removed from high school) who resided in Thurston County for a minimum of five years and is passionate about the growth and success of sports in Thurston County. The nominee must have maintained and continue to maintain ties to Thurston County through philanthropic events and/or financial donations to support sports in the community. Nominees will have had a significant impact in the Thurston County sports community (prior or current collegiate or professional sports players may be included).
- Laurie Creighton, Olympia High School Volleyball Coach
- Sergeant Major Chris Fulton, Retired
- Kurt Gress, Wembley Soccer Shop
- Dick Nichols, Former Thurston County Commissioner
- John Purtteman, The Evergreen State College Soccer Coach
- Laurel Smith, Swim Coach
- Dave Weber, KGY Radio Sports Talk Show Host
- Jamie Weeks, Tumwater High School Football Coach