I spent a few years in my early 20s in New England. I only lasted a couple of winters before I was begging my husband to move at least west of the Mississippi River. As we relish in the sun and mild temperatures earlier this week, I can’t help but feel compassion for my friends trudging through snow on the East Coast (week after week). I wish I could wave a magic wand and have Mother Nature even out some of this wacky winter weather. But for now, I think that I’ll be happy that I’m wearing a light rain jacket rather than a parka.
Here’s what’s going on around Olympia this weekend.
- Catch a production of the Olympia School District Players “Magical Moments” musical. Showtimes can be found here.
- Sign-up your middle school aged daughter for the Expanding Your Horizons STEM Conference. Get details here.
- Celebrate Lunar New Year by shopping at a local Asian market for all your meal supplies.
- Dig razor clams throughout the weekend. I even hear that some diggers have been pulling up clams bare-handed. Tide information can be found here.
- Find live theater at Harlequin Productions, Olympia Family Theater, and Olympia Little Theatre throughout the weekend.
- Take your jewelry to be appraised at The Gift Gallery on Saturday. Event details are here.
- Celebrate the statewide Beer Open House event on Saturday at Top Rung Brewing from 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Find out about their pale ale that they are releasing during the event here.
- Check out the Studio West Dance Academy’s annual charity fundraiser, “Dance to Make a Difference,” on Saturday evening at the Minnaert Center. Tickets can be purchased here. Proceeds benefit SafePlace.
- Listen to Clint Black at The Washington Center on Saturday evening. Ticket information can be found here.
- Make a night of it by including an overnight stay at the Red Lion with your tickets. Package deals can be found here.
- Laugh to stand-up comics at the Capitol Theater on Saturday night. Get details here.
- Participate in the ROAD-odend-RUN at Capitol Lake on Sunday morning – 2 runners x 1.5 miles x 2 legs each = 6 miles. Find more local 5k races here.
- Visit Cafe Love on Sunday afternoon for a “playshop” to hone your poetry skills.
- Watch a silent film at The Washington Center on Sunday afternoon, accompanied by live music on the 1924 organ. More details can be found here.
- Learn how Thomas Mani can bring bees to your backyard this summer.
- Support a local business as it transitions its operations. Centro’s liquidation sale is happening now. Details can be found here.
- Find out what people think of the plastic bag ban. The report was issued on February 19 by Thurston Solid Waste. A summary can be read here.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
Submit an event for our calendar here.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at email@example.com. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, click here.