Submitted by the Port of Olympia
Washington Dept. of Transportation (WSDOT) strongly urges drivers to avoid Interstate 5 near Capitol Lake over the weekends of September 12 and September 19.
The busy I-5/US 101 interchange in Olympia will be the focus of vital bridge structural repair work on those dates, day and night. In addition, preparations for the two weekends’ work will require lane and ramp closures on Thursday nights, Sept. 11 and Sept. 18.
WSDOT traffic engineers warn that drivers likely will face lengthy backups and delays because no convenient alternate state routes are available. Even with traffic volumes decreasing by 30% over the two weekends, traffic models show backups reaching 14 miles, with especially heavy congestion expected on southbound I-5.
Drivers who cannot avoid I-5 in Olympia at these times are advised to:
- Consider traveling through the area before 10 a.m. or after 8 p.m.
- Stay informed by checking WSDOT traffic alerts webpage, following WSDOT’s regional Twitter account and calling 5-1-1.
- Expect considerable delays with miles of stop-and-go traffic.
- Be prepared: Have a full tank of gas, have diversionary games for children traveling in the car, and pack patience.
- Allow plenty of extra time to reach travel destinations.
Note: Construction work is weather dependent. For current information click here.