Date: August 25, 2011
Danelle MacEwen, Engineering Technician II
Improvements About to Begin
Over the coming months, the City of Olympia will be making improvements to the Downtown Artesian Well. A rendering of these improvements is shown at right.
- Surface improvements
- Solar lighting
- A community message board
- A raised area to fill bottles
First Phase Starts August 27 and 28
City of Olympia crews will begin construction of a new drain at the well on August 27 and 28, 2011 from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The new drain will improve water discharge. Crews will also construct a temporary filling station for well users during the construction. Rich Hoey, Interim Public Works Director, says that the goal is to keep water accessible during construction. However, there may be times when this is not possible, plan ahead and fill extra bottles.
Late September/early October:
- Concrete work
- New signage and community information board
- Solar lights and flower poles
- Brick work and remaining surface improvements
- A public art project provided by a grant from the Downtown Parking and Business Improvement Area (PBIA).
What to Expect – Impacts:
- Fencing is for Everyone’s Safety: During times of active construction, the work site and equipment will be fenced, including around the well.
- Access Impacts: There may be times when access to the well is not possible. Please plan ahead.
What You Can do to Help
- Plan ahead – fill extra bottles.
- Keep area clear of debris.
- Stay out of fenced area.
- Check the City’s website for updates.
For More Information
- For more information about this project, contact Danelle MacEwen, Engineering Technician II, at 360.753.8211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit our website for construction updates.