With our busy schedules and lifestyles it is hard to plan a time to get to the gym. Here is an alternative: create your own Thurston County gym outside. We here in the Pacific Northwest live in one of the best outdoor gyms imaginable. Taking your fitness outdoors allows you to get a more varied and complete workout. Plus it is more fun.
The advantages of taking your fitness outdoors is:
- No gym fee
- No constraints
- The environmental benefits: Fresh air and connecting with your surroundings
- More creative: Putting your mind to work creating a workout plan using your natural surroundings and local parks.
- Less negative distraction: Nature itself is a very positive distraction.
- No travelling to the gym
- No waiting for equipment
- Less chance of catching a virus
Use outdoor stairs as your stair climbing machine, a picnic tables for push-ups, tricep work among other things, driftwood on the beach to create an obstacle course, use your water bottles as weights, or use your own body weight for exercises. Create a resistance band workout utilizing light poles or playground equipment. The possibilities are endless throughout Thurston County.
Olympia, Lacey and Tumwater have many great venues to keep your workouts fresh, among them are:
- Priest Point Park, Olympia
- Rotary Park (West Bay Park), Olympia
- Burfoot Park, Thurston County
- Pioneer Park, Tumwater
- Woodard Bay, Thurston County
- Tolmie State Park, Lacey
If you are not interested in getting fit outdoors alone then find a buddy, or better yet, find an outdoor fitness boot camp and do it as a group. Finding a fitness pal or working with a group will provide the motivational component needed to get you in the best shape of your life outside the gym.
There are many resources online that will give you an idea on what type of exercises can be done in the great outdoors, or better yet, find a certified fitness trainer to help get you going.