Lacey Fire District 3 Commissioners will hold a second special meeting on Monday, January 14th at 5:30 pm at the District’s Headquarters in order to take action on whether to accept or decline a federal staffing grant. The Fire District held an open forum on Thursday evening where about 20 residents and other community and city leaders learned about the details and challenges associated with the grant intended to re-staff the Willamette Drive NE station. Fire Commissioners and staff provided a summary of the grant provisions and limitations and then took comments from several in attendance.
The two year grant would fund the salary and benefits for 12 firefighter positions, the number needed to fully re-staff the station with an engine company to provide both fire and emergency medical service responses. The primary concern for the Board is the limited term of the grant and the unfunded liabilities that could exist if no new revenue is available once the grant expires in March of 2015. Those in attendance on Thursday spoke almost exclusively in favor of accepting the grant, but also acknowledged the difficult decision facing the Board due to the future uncertainties.
The public is invited and encouraged to attend Monday’s meeting. Additional information is available on the District’s website, www.laceyfire.com, and the public is welcome to contact Fire Chief Brooks at 360-528-2318 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- FIRE STATION 4 PUBLIC ART PROPOSAL JURY TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 6PM, MAIN FIRE STATION TRAINING ROOM 100 EASTSIDE STREET NE
- Tumwater Fire Department Quickly Resolves Commercial Fire
- Olympia Fire Department Press Release: 212 4th Avenue East (downtown Olympia fire)
- Steel Bridge Fire Reported In Olympic National Forest
- Commercial Structure Fire – 4055 Martin Way E.