The rainy season seems to have arrived in full force. This weekend’s forecast makes me want to curl up by the fire with a good book. However, despite the rain, there are tons of great things happening around the area, indoor and out. For those looking to brave the rain, fall hiking and salmon watching are perfect options. If you are seeking drier options, we have indoor activities for all ages. A full listing of Olympia and surrounding area events can be found on our Events Calendar page but we’ll get you started with some highlights below.
- Stroll the boardwalks of McLane Creek Nature Trail to view the migrating salmon. Their Chum Salmon and Cider event is on Sunday.
- Be inspired by the courageous fight against cancer by 5-year-old L.E. Torres.
- Read about the newly restored piano in the state capitol, then attend the Nov. 14 concert.
- Enjoy free days at the State and National Parks in honor of Veterans Day.
- Find handmade treasures at the Olympia Weavers Guild Annual show, Friday – Sunday.
- Order your holiday baked goods from 8 Arms Bakery before it’s too late.
- Seek out a few more “Selfie Spots” throughout the county.
- Escape the rain with these indoor activities for the family.
- Cheer for your one of five local high school competing for state volleyball titles this weekend.
- Jam with local singer Kimya Dawson at Saturday’s free (for the kids) concert at Capitol Theater.
- Check out one of six holiday bazaars on our calendar, all listed here.
- Find inspiration at the YMCA of Olympia’s Women of Achievement event Friday night.
- Grab a pint in the Teeny Tiny Taproom of Whitewood Cider Co.
- Take the night off from cooking and head to the Iron Rabbit where their Rabbit Rewards program benefits every guest.
- Do some “fall cleaning” and use these tips to make your pots and pans shine.
- Cheer for the Seahawks at Little Creek Casino Resort with football specials all weekend.
- Test drive a new SUV at Volkswagen of Olympia.
- Take a fall hike (or stay in the car to enjoy these overlooks).
- Visit the Kennedy Creek Salmon Trail, only open weekends in November.
- Finish your weekend with the Olympia Symphony Orchestra on Sunday night.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar.
*Photo credit: Dan Solie