“Do we have eclipse glasses?” This is what my kids asked this week. My answer is no….but I’m working on it! Don’t let the celestial event on Monday overshadow the amazing weekend ahead here in Thurston County. From the annual Pet Parade to hiking and boating on the Sound to a local brew fest, we have a list to keep you occupied until the big day on Monday. And, there’s so much more on our full Events Calendar that we can list here.
- Dress in your best for the 88th annual Pet Parade on Saturday.
- Help Intercity Transit improve how we get from place to place. Fill out their online survey this weekend.
- Train to be a Salmon Steward on Friday morning with the Stream Team.
- Get eclipse ready with these eclipse viewing tips from St. Martin’s professor Andrea Kunder.
- Cheers with friends and neighbors at the Tumwater Artesian Brewfest on Saturday.
- Reserve your seat now for Monday afternoon’s guest lecture on resilient aging.
- Take your family to an outdoor movie. Options here.
- Head south to Centralia and score back-to-school deals at the Centralia Outlets.
- Explore the Nisqually Reach Aquatic Reserve and Nature Center.
- View classic cars and hot rods at Panorama’s 3rd annual Car Show.
- Bring your used, adult bikes to Ralph’s Thriftway on Saturday and Sunday for the Allafia Bike Drive.
- Sing along at Music in the Park’s special Saturday concert at the Port Plaza.
- Book and end of the summer vacation to the North Beach area of Grays Harbor.
- Stay safe on the trails with outdoor writer, Douglas Scott’s hiking safety tips.
- Let La Gitana do the cooking and enjoy their outdoor patio in Yelm.
- Indulge in a weekend treat at Eastside Big Tom. Learn the history of this local favorite here.
- Explore the beach at the final Meet the Beach events this weekend.
- Light a lantern at Bon Odori on Saturday evening.
- Celebrate Captain Little’s 3rd birthday at their party on Sunday.
- Find solar eclipse fun the Hands On Children’s Museum’s Summer Splash this weekend.
- Visit an open house event this weekend. Click here to see the list of Van Dorm Realty’s open houses.
ThurstonTalk aims to be your source for positive information and events happening in Olympia. If you have a suggestion for a post, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more events and to learn what’s happening in Olympia and the surrounding area, visit our events calendar.
*Photo credit: Chris Hamilton