Join the fastest growing digital media company in Western Washington as ThurstonTalk’s new full-time Community Staff Writer. Land this full-time job and share positive stories about what it’s like to live, work, and play in Olympia, Lacey, Tumwater and throughout Thurston County.
We are looking for an efficient, collaborative, team player to file a daily story about our community. The fast-paced environment requires someone comfortable with working remotely and ability to quickly change directions. The Community Staff Writer must be professional and display confidence working with a wide variety of people.
Read on to learn more about becoming our new Community Staff Writer.
- Source at least one story per day.
- Interview community members.
- Craft articles that are professional and meet ThurstonTalk’s publishing standards.
- Snap photos to submit with articles. Take photos at community events for photo galleries.
- Meet due dates and deadlines.
- Respond positively to direction and constructive feedback from editors.
- Attend community events and meetings as a representative of ThurstonTalk. (Some weekend and evening work may be required.)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field required.
- At least 2 years experience as a reporter required, past experience working in digital media preferred
- Proven ability to effectively navigate social media and use technology tools to advance stories via social media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience in a position that required excellent organizational and time management skills
- Showcase attention to detail skills
- Comfortable networking and meeting new people while representing our brand
- Proven ability to work toward solutions to problems and collaborate on ideas
This position will be a remote job with a team meeting weekly in Olympia. You must have reliable transportation to get to Olympia, handle freelance writing assignments, and meet with customers as needed. It will be important that you have prior experience managing your own time to complete tasks without direct supervision.
A complete application will include:
- Current resume
- 200-word writing sample about why you love your community
- Please do not include any other attachments or work samples, unless requested.
Send your application to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15, 2017.