Submitted by Thurston County Emergency Management
As more rain fell in Thurston County Tuesday, more roads were added to a growing list of closures for water over the roadways. A mudslide on Prather Road SW has also lead to road closures.
New closures on Wednesday, Feb. 19:
Continued closures from Tuesday, Feb. 18:
“More rain is forecasted for the area off and on through Friday, and more road flooding is a possibility, so drivers should avoid all flooded roads, even if they don’t see any road closed signs,” says Thurston County Emergency Manager Kathy Estes.
Reminding motorists that drowning is the number one cause of flood deaths, Estes lists the following driver safety rules:
• Don’t drive on flooded roads. As little as 18 inches of water can float a small car.
• Don’t drive around road barriers. The road or bridge may be washed out.
• If your vehicle stalls in high water, abandon it immediately and climb to higher ground.
• Don’t walk through flowing water. Six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet.
• Tell a friend or relative when you leave home and where you’re going.
Flood Preparedness Tips and Resources:
o Telephone Alert System sign-up: www.co.thurston.wa.us/em/flood/teleAlert.htm
o TCEM on Facebook: ThurstonEM
o TCEM on Twitter: @ThurstonEM